top of page
GUYANA TOURISM AUTHORITY
JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The Guyana Tourism Authority (GTA) is a semi-autonomous governmental agency whose mission is to develop and promote sustainable tourism in Guyana through collaboration to maximise local socio-economic and conservation outcomes and improve the residents’ and visitors’ experience. We are seeking to fill an organisational leadership role for the Deputy Director position. We are seeking an experienced, high-performing, and mission-aligned professional who has significant international tourism experience and wants to play a leading role in the development of Guyana’s tourism sector and in ensuring Guyana continues to be recognised as one of the world’s leading sustainable destinations.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, August 22, 2023
Desired Start Date: September 1, 2023
Location: National Exhibition Centre, Georgetown, Guyana
Key responsibilities of the position include:
● Supports the development of effective national and organisational strategies, plans, and policies that improve the enabling environment for tourism development, and oversees the implementation of short-, medium- and long-term goals and objectives, metrics and performance indicators within the organization.
● Supports destination development activities to advance Guyana’s travel and tourism sector, including product development, community tourism development, capacity building, donor development, tourism investment, project management, and the provision of tourism private sector business development support services.
● Supports inter-agency collaboration and coordination with sister governmental agencies, private sector organisations, national regional bodies, and community organisations.
● Supports the development of a high performing senior managerial team through ongoing mentorship, guidance and knowledge sharing to advance the organisation’s objectives and maintain employee morale.
● Leads HR recruiting/onboarding, counselling, training including leading staff trainings, managing performance appraisal systems, and policy development/enforcement
● Supports the senior management team in the preparation of annual budgets, and makes recommendations to the Director on potential projects and initiatives.
● Analyses investment and business development opportunities, undertakes risk analyses of same and makes recommendation to the Director.
● Implements and maintains travel industry guidelines and foster the adoption of improved service quality, safety and sustainability standards within the tourism private sector.
● Reviews and analyses financial and non-financial reports to ensure adherence to the organisation’s strategic, business, fiscal and governance objectives.
● Enforces adherence to legal and policy guidelines to maintain the organisation’s compliance framework and business ethics.
● Develops strong and meaningful networks throughout the local, regional and global travel and tourism industry to grow and strengthen the destination Guyana brand.
● Contributes to thought leadership and represents the organisation at industry events, public meetings and key functions.
● Supports destination marketing, ensures that the organisation and the destination Guyana brand are consistently presented in a positive image to all stakeholders, and maintains knowledge and key insights of the local, regional and global travel and tourism markets, industry, and trends.
● Ensures the achievement of the organisation’s strategic objectives and performance targets.
Qualifications for this position include:
● A Master’s Degree from a recognised University (or commensurate work experience) in the tourism, hospitality or a related industry (e.g., business administration, environmental sciences)
● 8 years of senior management experience in destination management, development, and marketing
● Demonstrable ability to perform the requisite responsibilities and achieve tangible results
● Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and ability to maintain high levels of performance in a high paced office environment
● Strong experience in human resource and financial management principles with the ability to inspire and motivate others to work towards shared goals
● Excellent communication, networking, negotiation and public speaking skills
● Track record in managing high performing teams and capacity building is desired
● Experience within the tourism private sector
● Familiarity with G Suite and Microsoft Office
● Strong writing and communications skills
Compensation: Commensurate with experience and in accordance with local applicable pay scales. Benefits include travel allowance, duty allowance, entertainment allowance, vacation allowance, and gratuity. 90-day introductory period applies to all new positions.
Application Process: Email your cover letter and resume to Ms. Melissa Ann Henry (email@example.com ) and include your salary requirements. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Short-listed candidates will be requested to complete a pre-interview questionnaire and provide the names and contact details of three references, including at least two professional references.
bottom of page